Activate empowers scientists to reinvent our world and address climate change by bringing their research to market. We partner with leading funders and research institutions to offer the Activate Fellowship, providing the funding, technical support, networking, community, and time that scientists need at the outset of their entrepreneurial journey.
Activate Fellows have launched 106 new companies since 2015. These companies have raised more than $1B in follow-on funding, created more than 1,100 U.S.-based high-tech jobs, reached scientific breakthroughs, and defined new market categories. Activate supports fellows in Berkeley, CA; Cambridge, MA; New York, NY; and across the U.S. through Activate Anywhere.
Activate exists to create a better future, for all. In service of this purpose, we are building a foundation of equity and inclusion across our business, including our operations, our fellowship, our partnerships, and our brand.
We’re looking for a Development Manager who will have an exceptional opportunity to enable Activate’s mission by providing operational and strategic support to revenue generation across all funder types (philanthropy, government, and corporate). In this role, you will report to the Director of Philanthropic Development and be responsible for coordinating award management processes and timelines, producing proposals and reports, new customer discovery and pipeline management, and development and documentation of internal processes related to these functions.
Coordinate award management:
- Monitor and maintain funder reporting schedules and requirements.
- Maintain master calendar of grants and prospects and all associated files and correspondence.
Produce proposals and reports:
- Lead the preparation of proposals, including:
- Conduct research, gather internal and external data, and conduct data analysis in support of grant objectives.
- Facilitate program design workshops.
- Write drafts and organize internal review of proposal packages, review proposals against criteria, and assemble any supporting materials.
- Manage teaming processes with external partner organizations, including developing scopes of work and managing budget negotiations.
- Draft compelling progress reports and targeted program updates for funders that fully capture programmatic success.
- Assist with ongoing analysis of program operations, outputs, and outcomes.
- Ensure the team meets proposal and reporting deadlines.
- Manage the priorities and timeline for proposal preparation, leveraging our grant management database to organize applications and progress reports.
- Collaborate with relevant staff to ensure compliance with grant requirements, collect and synthesize data, solicit timely inputs, and coordinate reviews for proposals and reports.
Drive new customer discovery and pipeline management:
- Research and evaluate new high-probability philanthropic and government funding opportunities.
- Guide go/no-go discussions about new funding opportunities.
Develop and document internal processes:
- Maintain the overall quality of proposals and reports by creating, maintaining, and revising templates and support databases.
- Maintain library of grant support documents including resumes, bios, IRS forms, board/staff diversity lists, etc.
- Utilize CRM software to track past, present, and potential funders.
- Produce step-by-step instructions for specific tasks to streamline processes.
As the Ideal Candidate, you
- Are passionate about Activate’s mission and its connection to different impact sponsors and donors.
- Are service-oriented and establish strong rapport.
- Are collaborative and emotionally attuned.
- Have a strong sense of accountability.
- Have strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Make data-driven and evidence-based decisions.
- Have a positive attitude, sense of humor, and flexible working style.
- Are enthusiastic about the potential of scientists and the power of science innovation to combat climate change and create a sustainable, resilient, and equitable global economy.
About the Role
This is a highly flexible, hybrid role. We offer a competitive salary starting at $85,000 with a bonus structure, along with a generous benefits package that includes professional development, $2,000 in annual wellness funds, unlimited paid time off, healthcare premiums covered for employees and dependents at 90%, and the opportunity to join a retirement plan with a 3% match beginning after one year of employment.
Encouraging Applications from All Backgrounds
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Activate Global, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.